The Ministry of Justice in New Zealand recently announced several major changes to the way all businesses, individuals and providers access and utilise their MoJ Check service.
These sweeping changes will impact how many businesses screen their candidates with this valuable criminal record and traffic check moving forward. With so much to understand, it’s important that organisations understand the changes and options available for them to minimise business and hiring disruption.
Here’s a breakdown of exactly what is changing, and how WorkPro is updating functionality and workflow for this important pre-employment check.
Summary of changes (NZ Ministry of Justice)
Effective 3rd May 2021, the following changes will apply to all users and providers of MoJ Checks. A transition period will begin from 19th April, 2021.
- The Ministry currently offers organisations the option to mail in paper applications or email manual forms. Starting 3rd May, paper applications are no longer being accepted.
- Organisations will not be able to access a free ‘standard’ check directly from The Ministry.
- Individuals will be able to access a free MoJ Check directly from The Ministry. This service is available by paper-based application, or via a new online portal run by The Ministry.
- Any organisation can register for access to The Ministry’s online portal service to administer their checks. This can be done by sending a link to a candidate to complete themselves, or by completing a check with the candidate.
- Each check submitted via the Ministry’s new online portal will be charged at $11 per check. These will all have a 3-day turnaround, provided they are received before 12pm NZT).
- Organisations will be responsible for securely storing their own identity documents and signed applications.
WorkPro is ready to go
Making MoJ Checks flexible and easy to use so you can screen your workforce as efficiently as possible is what we’ve become known for.
We also know that its frustrating trying to change established processes and avoid disruption while business as usual is continuing around you.
In response to the recent changes, we’ve been working to adjust our workflow to minimise business changes so you can continue to meet your business requirements. The new service will be live on 3rd May 2021, so when The Ministry of Justice switches systems, WorkPro MoJ Check customers can continue working with the new system with no downtime.
They’ll also get to enjoy some enhanced functionality, making the process smoother for both administrators and candidates.
The new WorkPro MoJ Checks service
Here’s what the new process will look like:
- A WorkPro MoJ Check request is sent to a candidate from our online platform.
- The candidate interface (below) asks if they have an existing MoJ Check to upload.
- If they do, they can upload and administrators can view the document and accept or reject it (below). If accepted, the certificate will be stored in WorkPro securely and no further action is required.
- If the candidate does not upload an existing MoJ Check or you reject the uploaded document, they are provided with another new interface (below), directing them to obtain their own free check online from The Ministry.
- WorkPro will send auto alerts reminding candidates to upload their result to the WorkPro dashboard for you to view and manage.
But wait, there is more…
WorkPro Managed MoJ Checks
Every time you send a new MoJ Check request, you’ll have the option to choose a ‘WorkPro Managed’ MoJ Check. If you’re already a WorkPro customer, you’ll be familiar with how handy this service can be.
With a WorkPro Managed MoJ Check, rather than the candidate being directed to the Ministry to complete their check on their own, they are instead sent an MoJ Check request from within the WorkPro platform.
WorkPro will manage the check with The Ministry from start to finish, provide real-time updates and store the result in the WorkPro dashboard for you. You’ll also have the option to complete the MoJ Check on a candidate’s behalf to streamline the process further.
You’ll also receive a guaranteed turnaround time of 4 days.
Have a question about the upcoming changes to MoJ Checks?
If you would like to learn more about the announcement by The Ministry of Justice and how you can take advantage of WorkPro’s new MoJ Checks service from 3rd May 2021, we’re here to help.
Call us on +64 1300 975 776 (New Zealand) or 1300 975 776 (Australia) or use the contact form to get in touch and see how WorkPro can make your workforce screening simple.